13.6.08

How do users navigate from here to there

A previous blog introduces library management technology. A portal is a key digital library feature allowing library staff to employ software for integrated library systems (ILS). I don't know about you, but I prefer one-stop shopping (maga-stores, mega-malls, Internet shopping). So, ,maybe this shopping behaviour is an example of search and browse on the Internet. As information professionals, I believe that this is a major part of what we try to achieve for our users...one-stop access. We can fully customize with information management platforms.We can create a one-stop interface for responsive search and browse activities. Innovative technology is able to support OpenURL, RSS, and federated searching to access all accessible resources in one search query box. We can integrate Web 2.0 tools like blogs and Wikis that users are used to. So if a meeting or class is missed then links, e-resources, digital collections, presentations and anything else the library wants to bring to the user is in front of them (even Blackboard.)

1 comment:

Maggie Josephsen said...

I completely agree- users are definitely searching for the quickest fix, least clicks necessary for an answer, and anything that gets them moving on to the next need on the list! As a profession, I believe we need to help frenetic users balance between speed and accuracy, while showing them that a little time on the front end defining a search will help on the back end of finding the answer!